Spain student visa apply

How to Apply for a Spanish Student Visa from Canada

So, you want to study in Spain? Or you’ve decided to avoid the 9-5 “real” world for another year and become a language assistant? Maybe deep down inside, all you want is to enjoy a midday siesta and not be judged for it. Whatever the reason may be, you’ve chosen the perfect location.

But before you start sipping on 80-cent boxed wine (don’t ever do this in front of Spaniards) and ordering enough tapas to feed a small village, you have to actually get to Spain. That’s where this troublesome but oh-so-necessary thing called a visa comes in.

In case you haven’t yet heard, Spanish bureaucracy is about as pleasant as repeatedly stabbing yourself with a fork. Administration workers tend to treat you as a nuisance – that is, if they acknowledge your existence at all. (No joke. When I applied for my residency card, the lady just stared blankly at me until I handed her my papers.) If you can avoid it, don’t bother calling the consulate for any issues you may run into. From my experience and that of others I’ve spoken with, the employees are just plain rude.

Having said that, my most recent experience applying for a visa was relatively painless. Even following all the instructions on the consulate website wasn’t enough to make it a perfectly smooth process, though. That’s why I’m compiling this (hopefully) foolproof guide for you. Follow these steps, learn from my mistakes, and you should be good to go.

What you’ll need to apply (from the Embassy of Spain in Ottawa’s site):

The original and a photocopy of:

  • A passport valid until the end of your stay, but ideally until 6 months after (some countries won’t let you in if it expires sooner)
  • Documentation proving your residency status if you are not a Canadian citizen
  • Confirmation of school registration – if studying, the acceptance letter from your school; if working as an auxiliar de conversación, your carta de nombramiento
  • Overseas medical insurance coverage (Auxiliares – this is included in your carta)
  • Proof of accommodation: confirmation that you are staying in a residency or with a host family, or simply a printout of a hotel booking indicating that you will find permanent accommodation when you arrive
  • Proof of financial reliability: bank statements, scholarships, etc. that add up to at least $1000 CAD per month of your stay. If you do not have the required funds, you must provide a notarized letter from your parents stating that they will cover the cost, along with their bank statement from the last two months. Note: Auxiliares, you should not need to provide proof of financial reliability as it is included in our carta; however, the consulate emailed me requesting a copy of a bank statement. Depending on the employee who deals with your case, he or she simply may not know what’s required… even though it’s part of their job.
  • Medical certificate: if the duration of your stay is over 6 months, have your doctor sign and stamp a letter worded as follows:

    “This medical certificate states that Mr./Mrs. [YOUR NAME] does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious consequences on public health in accordance with the provisions contained in the 2005 International Health Regulations.”

  • Police check: If the duration of your stay is over 6 months, you must provide a police check from the authorities of all the countries in which you have resided in the last 5 years. The Canadian police check must be done by the RCMP, not a local police station. It must include your fingerprints.
  • Flight reservation or travel itinerary: A bit of a catch-22. They ask for a flight reservation but tell you not to book a flight until you have your visa. I did so anyway because I like to live life dangerously, but you can simply look up potential flights and provide a sample itinerary.
  • A completed and signed visa application form with one recent, full-face Canadian passport-sized photograph attached in the top-right corner.
  • Visa fee: $125 cash, money order, or cheque payable to the “Embassy of Spain”

Other requirements:

  • A self-addressed envelope
  • Patience
  • Time. The earliest you can apply is three months in advance, and I would highly suggest applying as early as possible.  

Now that you know what you need in order to complete your application, it’s just a matter of getting all the documents together. Most of them are pretty straightforward, but the police check and application form can be tricky, so I’ll highlight them below.

How to obtain a police check

The easiest way to get your record check done is by going to a Police Information Check Station or RCMP station in your town. The RCMP website states that your local police station should be able to take your fingerprints and scan them to the RCMP, but mine was not. You can always call ahead to see if the station will in fact do fingerprinting for visa purposes.

Once she takes your fingerprints, the person attending you will ask you for some personal information as well as the purpose of the record check. She’ll then submit the information to the RCMP and give you a slip of paper with a number to contact in case your record check is taking longer than usual to arrive. If all is well, it should arrive by mail in about a week. (You can check processing times here.)

How to fill out the visa application form

Filling out the visa form was probably the trickiest part of the whole process the first time I applied. I’m not sure how I ended up with the Spanish version of the application form as the form provided on the embassy website is in English, but I suggest using the English version for simplicity’s sake.

Here’s how you should be filling the form out, by box #:

student visa apply#1-9: Personal information. Pretty straightforward.

#10-11: N/A

#12-18: Passport & contact info.

#19: Student (even if you are a language assistant, you can just write “student” as it’s essentially a student visa you’re applying for)

spain student visa apply

#20: Studies

#21: Whatever date your flight lands in Spain, or that of the flight you’ve included in your possible itinerary

#22: Always select more than two. You never know how many times you might leave the country before your visa expires.

#23: You probably won’t have a postal address in Spain yet. Just write the address of the hotel/hostel you’ll be staying at for the start of your trip with a note beside it indicating that you will find permanent accommodation when you arrive.

#24-27: N/A

spain student visa apply

#28: Your university’s (student) or school’s (language assistant) info. Ignore the part halfway down about minors.

spain student visa apply

Date and sign the application form on the last page and clip one of your photos onto the corner of the first page.

That’s it! You’re all done with the application process. High five.

Sending in your documents

Before you send in your documents, double-check that you have them all, plus a photocopy of each. Again, those documents were:

  • Passport 
  • Documentation proving residency status (non-Canadian citizens)
  • Acceptance letter/carta de nombramiento
  • Overseas medical insurance (not required for language assistants)
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof of financial reliability
  • Medical certificate (for stays over 6 months)
  • Police check (for stays over 6 months)
  • Flight reservation/travel itinerary
  • Visa application form with photos
  • Visa fee (cash, cheque, or money order)

Ready to go? Great. Now, toss those papers along with your passport into an express envelope and send it to one of the following addresses:

Applicants from Ontario (Ottawa not included), British Columbia, Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon:

Consulate General of Spain

2 Bloor Street East

Suite 1201

Toronto, ON M4W 1A8

Applicants from Québec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island:

Consulate General of Spain

1200 Avenue McGill College

Suite 2025

Montréal, QC H3B 4G7

**Applicants from Ottawa and Gatineau:

You must go in person to apply for your visa at the following address:

Embassy of Spain

74 Stanley Avenue

Ottawa, ON K1M 1P4

IMPORTANT: If you do not live in the city to which you will be sending your application (i.e. Toronto, Montréal, or Ottawa) you must include a self-addressed envelope with correct postage with your application so that the consulate can send your passport/visa back to you. I learned this the hard way when, two weeks after sending in my documents, I received an email stating that my visa was approved and waiting for me to come pick it up… on the other side of the country. I ended up having to send an envelope in an envelope like some sort of Russian nesting doll. You’d think they’d be willing to spend $4 from the $125 visa fee I paid to send it back. No such luck. Don’t forget the envelope, people.

So now that you’ve sent off your bundle of extremely important papers, what’s left to do? The most difficult thing of all, my friend: wait. You shouldn’t have to wait long – ideally two weeks, up to four. Unless there’s a Canada Post strike (this almost happened) or the consulate loses your documents. (This happened to a friend. They found them eventually.)

Try not to worry too much. Barring a total disaster, your visa should arrive just fine.

Oh, and one last tip: don’t freak out when you see it expires three months after the date of your arrival. If you’re staying in Spain longer than six months, the visa will only be valid for 90 days because you’re expected to obtain a temporary residency card (TIE) upon arrival. This card, not your visa, will allow you to stay in Spain legally for the duration of your trip. If you’ll be in Spain for less than six months, don’t worry about the TIE. Your visa will be valid for the duration of your trip.

I’d love to tell you that the visa process will be your first and last taste of Spanish bureaucracy, but chances are it’s just the beginning.

Keep an eye out for future how-to posts (how to apply for a TIE, open a bank account, find an apartment) to help make your transition to Spain much smoother.

From someone who’s been there before (twice!) the best advice I have is to be patient and accept the cultural differences. Cheap wine awaits you on the other side.


  1. Reply


    May 18, 2017

    Thanks ! found this so very helpful, I was “flipando” as it seemed complicated and all over the place.. I’m an Aussie on a working holiday visa here in Canada and next move is to Spain where I’ll do an MBA :),


    Lina B

  2. Reply


    May 30, 2017

    This is so helpful! For a police check, where should it be done?

    • Reply


      June 4, 2017

      Hi Nick,

      So sorry for the late reply! I got my police check done at a police station in Edmonton. I was told I could go to any police station, but that was incorrect. For a national police check, I needed to go to a specific station. I believe I could have gone to an RCMP office, too. I would give your local police a call and they should point you in the right direction.

      Again, sorry for getting back to you so late! Good luck with the application process :)

  3. Reply


    June 8, 2017

    This is so helpful, omg. Especially the part with info on how to fill out the visa application form. You saved my life!!!!!!

  4. Reply


    June 28, 2017

    Thank you very much for doing this. This is a lot of help. I have a question: I already sumitted my criminal record check at the police station in Calgary. They didn’t ask me for my fingerprints. After reading your post, I see that this is definitely required. Can I get my fingerprints taken in another place and then summit those with my police check?

    • Reply


      July 4, 2017

      Hi Alejandro,

      Sorry for the late reply – I’ve been travelling!

      In terms of getting the fingerprints, I know there are accredited agencies that can do it for you (see: however, it looks like you need to get a criminal record check done by the RCMP. I tried going to my local police station first and they couldn’t provide the comprehensive police check I needed. I would go to the RCMP or call your local police station and ask where you can get a national police check with fingerprinting done.

  5. Reply


    July 3, 2017

    Hello, I just wanted to ask u… on the auxiliares de conversación page for the visa application instructions it says we have to book an appointment and go into the consulate in person and hand in our documents for the visa… can i just mail it to them? Or do I have to go in?

  6. Reply


    July 3, 2017

    I live in Toronto btw. ^ and it says that people living in Toronto must apply in person.

    • Reply


      July 4, 2017

      Hi Faria!

      So the Spanish consulate website for Canada is super confusing and hard to navigate…. I don’t know about Toronto, but I applied through that office (though I don’t live in Ontario) and I was able to mail mine in. They made me send a self addressed envelope with my application so they could send my passport back to me. I think as long as you do that, there should be no problem with sending it via mail.

  7. Reply


    July 12, 2017

    I got my doctors note today and the doctor didn’t work the letter exactly the same as what you gave up and on the auxiliaries
    Website. Will they still accept this or does it have to be those exact words? Please help!!

    • Reply


      July 27, 2017

      Hi Faria,

      Sorry, I’ve been travelling and haven’t had a chance to catch up with comments! You’ve probably already sent your documents in by now but in case you haven’t, the doctor’s note does not need to be in those exact words, I don’t think. It’s just a sample. What you do have to include is some reference to the WHO International Health Regulations of 2005.

  8. Reply


    July 12, 2017

    Medical certificate** ^

  9. Reply


    August 22, 2017

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, this is extremely helpful as I’m currently going through that process. One question : For #23, is that what you did, apply with only a temporary address? That’s what I would like to do (I would refer to the hostel I’ll be staying at) but I saw elsewhere that you absolutely needed a permanent address, so I just wanted to confirm that this will work for sure if I provide a hotel booking mentioning that I’ll find accomodation when I get there.
    Thank you!

    • Reply


      August 22, 2017

      I’m glad you found it helpful, Marie-Eve! #23 is a tricky one because you’re supposed to have an address but why would you settle on an apartment before you move?? I don’t think you should have any issues if you write your hotel’s address in that box and make a note stating that you’ll find permanent housing when you arrive. Just attach a copy of your reservation :)

  10. Reply


    October 5, 2017

    Thank you for writing this!

    • Reply


      January 12, 2018

      Thank you for reading, Iris!

  11. Reply


    November 9, 2017

    Thank you a lot for this. Just had a quick question, I’m in Montreal and on the spanish consulate website it says you have to come in for an appointment. The only problem is they don’t have any space for another month, which is too long for me to wait. Do you know if I can still mail it in? This seems a lot easier.

    Thank you!

    • Reply


      January 12, 2018

      Hi Jake,

      I’m sure you’ve gotten the answer to this already as I’ve taken forever to reply (so sorry!), but you should be able to send them an envelope with the correct postage so that they can mail your passport/visa back to you. They wanted me to come into Toronto to get mine – I live in Edmonton! It was a pain to have to send them an envelope, but it was quick and relatively painless.

    • Reply


      April 17, 2018

      Hi again, Jake! Just wanted to follow up to see if it is indeed possible to mail in the visa application in Montreal, as another commenter has the same question.

  12. Reply


    December 1, 2017


    When you say the earliest you can apply is 3 months before, what do you mean by this? In what context?

    Example: I’m applying for a student visa for a course i’ve been accepted to in Madrid. The course starts in 2 months.

    Does this mean I wouldn’t be able to apply for the visa?

    • Reply


      January 12, 2018

      Hey Chris,

      Sorry for the late reply! I’m sure you’ve already applied for your visa so this probably isn’t relevant to you, but what I meant by that is you can’t apply for your visa more than three months in advance of the start of your program. So, if you started on January 1st, the earliest you could apply would be October 1st. You can apply anytime after October, as long as you leave enough time for processing of your visa.

      I hope you have the best time on exchange. Madrid is incredible. Let me know if you have any other questions – I promise I’ll do better at replying on time!

  13. Reply

    Alia Villanueva

    January 7, 2018

    Hi Ivana,

    I was wondering if you know if a student going abroad to Spain can apply for the student visa while in Spain? My exchange starts in February – I’m afraid I’ve started the process too late…I’m nervous to send my passport with my visa application incase I don’t get it back in time for my flight to London on January 30th. Any suggestions?

    On a side note…your post was incredibly helpful!

    • Reply


      January 12, 2018

      Hi Alia,

      Sorry that I took a few days to respond. I just looked into your question and this is what I’m seeing on the Government of Canada website: “It is not possible for a non-EU national to enter Spain as a visitor and change his/her status to that of an employee, student or resident from within Spain. Applications for visas must be made in Canada to the Spanish consulate with jurisdiction over one’s place of residence.”

      It looks like you’ll have to send your documents and passport to Canada for processing. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like you’ll get your passport back in time as it takes about 4 weeks for processing. Another thing to remember is if you do end up sending your passport to them, make sure you include a return envelope with correct postage so that they can mail it back to you – otherwise they’ll hold it until you come and pick it up (in Ottawa/Toronto!!!!).

      It looks like you’re in a bit of a tough spot, but I sincerely hope you can get it worked out.

      Thanks so much for reading!

  14. Reply


    January 11, 2018

    Hi Ivana,

    Wondering if you could help sort me out as I am getting conflicting information depending on the source.

    Q1: For the RCMP check, is it just a criminal record check or both the criminal record check and the vulnerable sector check?

    Q2: The ACCA website states that RCMP checks must be legalized. You didn’t mention that step in your post. Did you have your document authenticated by Global Affaris Canada?

    Q3: What, if any, documents need to be translated into Spanish? My list of documents thus far are (a) medical certificate; (b) RCMP check and (c) French criminal record check (because I was a student in France during the 2014-2015 academic year. Am I looking at having all these documents translated into spanish?

    Hoping that yourself, or one of the other readers of this blog post and provide some answers.

    Thanks in advance.

    • Reply


      January 12, 2018

      Hi Veronica,

      Thanks so much for your comment. I hope my response will be helpful.

      1. It is just a criminal record check. The student visa page on the Spanish Embassy’s website says nothing about a vulnerable sector check. I know didn’t have to do one. You can find all the info you need about obtaining the police check here.

      2. No, my RCMP check was not legalized, and I’m not sure how one would go about that. I simply submitted the record check that I received from the RCMP as-is.

      3. None of my documents required a Spanish translation. Because you’re sending them to the Embassy, it is assumed that the people issuing the visa are fluent in both languages. The student visa website states: “Also, a Spanish translation of all submitted documents may be required in accordance to the provisions of Section 36 of the Spanish Public Administration and Administrative Procedures Act 30/1992.” I don’t know in what case this would be necessary, but I know it was not necessary for me nor for my friends who also acquired student visas. The only issue I can foresee is with the French criminal record check. Technically, the Embassy should be able to deal in either English or French since they are the official languages of our country. You could try contacting the Embassy about that one as unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you.

      If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! Good luck with the process. I know it can be a bit of a headache.

  15. Reply

    Danielle LC

    April 16, 2018


    I’m currently preparing to apply for a youth mobility visa to the consulate in Montreal – I have a question similar to Jake who commented on November 9, 2017. The link to respond to his comment doesn’t seem to be working – could you respond to his comment asking if he ever confirmed if it’s possible to apply to the Montreal consulate by mail? Or could you please comment giving him my email address so I could ask about the process.


    • Reply


      April 17, 2018

      Hi Danielle,

      Thanks for your comment! I replied to Jake asking for some more info about his experience, so hopefully he replies.

  16. Reply

    steffani cameron

    April 17, 2018

    Hey, Ivana — no worries if it takes to a few days to reply. I’m sensing a theme here — from one frequent traveller to another, I get it!

    So, this is AWESOME, as you’re aware. But pursuant to the avid-traveller thing — you said a police check from every country you’ve “resided” in. I’m presuming you were travelling before this. If so, did you need police checks from all those countries?

    I’ve been a nomad for 2.5 years and have stayed up to two months in a few countries but usually just 4-6 weeks. Do you think I need to worry about checks in all these countries? That’ll get expensive! (21 countries, 20 not counting Spain.)

    I still have a legal address in Canada, thanks to a friend though.

    Thanks for the resource and for your additional time in answering this, and good luck out there in the world. :)


    • Reply


      April 19, 2018

      Hi Steff,

      First of all, I appreciate your understanding! I’ve tried to get quicker at replying but it doesn’t always happen :P

      So, to your question – I did a bit of digging, but I didn’t come up with much. Nowhere is it really specified what “resided in” means; however, I would say that 4-6 weeks is not enough time to warrant you being considered a “resident”. I am nooooot the authority on this, but I would assume residing in a country means you have some sort of ties to the country and have done more than just pass through (at least, this is what defines a resident of Canada).

      When I applied for the student visa the second time around, I did not provide a police check from Spain despite having lived there for 5 months. I didn’t have any problems getting my visa. I would say 6 months is probably a good benchmark. If I were to apply for a visa again, I would provide a police check from Spain as I lived there for a year and a half total, but I think you’re pretty safe with just sending in a police check from Canada (or wherever else you’ve *lived* for 6+ months).

      I hope that’s helpful, and best of luck!

  17. Reply

    steffani cameron

    April 19, 2018

    It’s super-helpful! Thank you so much. :)

  18. Reply


    April 25, 2018

    Hi Ivana, do you know anything about non-Canadian residents applying for a Spanish student visa in Canada? I am living in Winnipeg for the summer, about 4 months, and will be applying on a NZ passport. I have a social security number because I get a salary – do you think that proof of my status in Canada will be enough when I am not a citizen or resident?
    Thank you for the helpful post!

  19. Reply


    April 25, 2018

    ^answered my own question! “He/she must provide documentation proving his/her residence status in Canada (permanent residence permit, working permit, study permit, etc.)”

  20. Reply


    April 28, 2018

    Hey Ivana!
    I’m applying for a YMS visa to Spain, but I think my question applies to this post as well.
    I applied for my NIE and the 790 Código 012 form in person at the Toronto consulate on the 25th, and the woman was quite unhelpful- she basically said I can’t apply for the visa until I receive the NIE. However, on the (a great blog, and she’s recommended you :) ) she goes through the process and it seems like you can apply for your NIE and YMS visa at the same time. If this is the case, that would be incredibly helpful as I need my Spanish Visa before I leave for the UK in the last week of June- and time is not on my side.

    • Reply


      May 7, 2018

      Hi KinoDrome,

      First of all, thanks for your comment! I’m not very familiar with the YMS visa, but from the info on the Spanish consulate website, it does look like you have to apply for the NIE first. I find this strange because I received my NIE with my visa (it was simply printed onto the visa page in my passport). I’m sorry that I can’t be of more help, but since you’re short on time, you could try to apply for both at the same time. It’s a tricky situation and I understand that the consulate is extremely frustrating and unhelpful :/

      I hope you can work it out!

  21. Reply


    May 18, 2018

    Hey, me again!

    Just received my YMV this week – I’ve been trying (and will keep trying) to contact the embassy regarding the start and end dates listed on my visa. It has the start and end date listed a year apart, with the start date being June 1st, 2018 (end date May 31st, 2019) and the duration being 365 days. I’m curious – did yours have the dates listed too? If so, did you enter exactly on the start date? I’m trying to get the full 365 days out of it, but I also am in the process of lining up a job before going (which may push me a bit later than June 1st).

    • Reply


      June 6, 2018

      Hey Danielle,

      I didn’t apply for the YMV (mine was a student visa) so unfortunately I don’t think I can offer much advice for your situation, although I would think that you can only stay up to the end date of your visa. This might be one better left to the embassy (as much of a pain as they are to deal with). Please update me if you get an answer out of them!

  22. Reply

    Val McLellan

    May 30, 2018

    Hi Ivana,
    My daughter has been living in Spain since February with a Youth Mobility visa, but she has now applied and been accepted to school in Spain, with the start date in October. Her YM visa is valid until Feb/19 but she now needs a Student visa for her program. She is going to come back to Canada to get this, but my question is, does she have to leave the Schengen zone for 90 days before going back to Spain to do her schooling?
    Thanks for any help you can give us!

    • Reply


      June 6, 2018

      Hi Val,

      Thanks so much for your question! Unfortunately, this isn’t one I’ve dealt with before. The only info I can offer is what I found by searching in the Auxiliares de Conversacion 2017-18 Facebook group. I can’t share a link to the post as it’s a private group, and I can’t post photos in the comments here, but if you send me an email at I can send you screenshots. It looks like some Canadians have been in a similar position to your daughter.

  23. Reply


    July 4, 2018

    Can I ask about the medical certificate? I have one from my doctor but it does not use that language regarding the 2005 international health regulations. Apparently my doctor wasn’t cool with saying that. But it does explicitly state I am in good health, and on proper letterhead. Do you know how strict they are about using that specific phrase? Thanks

    • Reply


      July 7, 2018

      Hi Jamie,

      I have heard of applicants getting by without having that exact wording on the document and others whose certificates have been rejected. It looks like it depends on the consulate. I always think it’s best to submit exactly what they’re asking for, if possible, to avoid any delays. Are you able to see another doctor who can provide you with the document in that exact wording?

  24. Reply


    July 13, 2018

    Hi Ivana, this blog post was really helpful! I have one question though: I am applying for a student visa to begin in September and I have accommodation and round trip flights booked however on the consulate website it says that we must have a letter of invitation issued by a police station in Spain to submit with our proof of accommodation. When we asked our host about this they didn’t know what it was and were unaware of how to obtain it. In your post though you state that all you need is proof of accommodation so would it be okay to send the application without the letter?
    Thank you again for all the helpful information!

    • Reply


      July 16, 2018

      Hi Sarah,

      Thanks for your kind comment! To answer your question, I haven’t ever heard of anyone needing that type of document from Spain… You should be fine just sending in a copy of your plane ticket and proof of accommodation, as well as the invitation from your school.

  25. Reply

    Nikki L

    July 19, 2018

    Help! This process has been quite the run around. I am applying for a youth mobility visa. I’m just about to send in my application and noticed that on the directions its reads:

    “3. If the duration of the stay is over six months, negative criminal record issued by the RMCP. If in the last five years you have resided in another country, a criminal record from the authorities of that country.”

    But on your blog and elsewhere it sometimes indicates that the criminal record check WITH fingerprints is needed. But the directions didn’t state that I need finger prints so my criminal record check does not have them. Should I send my application or try to get fingerprints? I have tried emailing and phoning the Spanish Consulate but nobody has gotten back to me.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  26. Reply


    August 27, 2018

    Hi Ivana,

    Thanks for the post! I was denied a student visa a few years ago from Spain with no clear answer as to why. I did appeal it but never heard back. To my knowledge I had everything filled out correctly but obviously I did something wrong to be denied.

    What I was wondering is if you need to have the entire Visa package notarized before you send it in? I had this done for Italy. I realize they have to do this in the US but as a Canadian I don’t know how/where we get this done if we are outside the visa office. It was my understanding that was done in the Toronto office even if you are not there in person? (I need to deal with Toronto, but I’m not from Ontario)

    As well, for the student visa were you to apply for the NIE at the same time?

    • Reply


      August 31, 2018

      Hi Jen,

      I’m so sorry to hear you were denied for a visa! I can imagine how frustrating that must have been.

      To my knowledge, you do not have to have the package notarized. I did not have anything notarized, nor did my Canadian friends who also did the program. I don’t think that would have been the reason why your visa was denied, but really, who knows with Spain. All I did was ensure I enclosed all of the required documents listed on the Spanish consulate page with my visa application.

      To answer your question about the NIE, this is a number that will be assigned to you if/when you receive your visa. There’s no need to apply for it; it will be clearly printed on the visa page of your passport.

      I hope this offers you some clarification, and best of luck! Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

  27. Reply


    September 25, 2018

    Hi there, I am applying for a student visa and plan and booking a hotel and finding a place to stay once I arrive. How long does this hotel reservation need to be for? Is a week okay?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Privacy Policy